Sunday, June 7, 2009

Camp Pendleton Mud Run - And the Dirty Little Secrets of Mud Runs


And the Dirty Little Secrets of Mud Runs

The sequel to the mud run begins at home. When you try to rescue your race clothes . . . the morning after and that smell of mossy lake funk has taken over your laundry room.

We’re in a recession, right? So why discard my trust work out and race clothes just because I got a little mud on them? After all, there was hardly any mud - that thing I bitched about! Because you’ll spend more on your water bill trying to wring out all the dirt and mud in your clothes than on new workout clothes. And because I'll need yet another shower after trying to wring out my clothes!

You Only Get 24-Hours to Monday-Morning Quarterback and Beat Yourself Up. Then it’s time to get back to work. Much harder work.

Running events aren’t strictly about competition, camaraderie and testing one’s limits – they’re life learning events – big Ah Ha! moments from someone up there thumping you over the head. Sometimes real freakin’ hard! Some one or thing trying to tell you that you have amazing gifts and that you better start taking care of them (giving them plenty of water is a really good start!). Real good care of them. Because the time with we have our gifts is fleeting. And the clock is always ticking . . .

1 comment:

ricklucero21 said...

Ok... I really tried not to leave a comment because I spend sooo much time commenting already (in our sessions, facebook, texts...) but its in my nature and i have emotionally wore myself out.

1. I am so proud of you and your performance on the run! Some others (even younger trainers that you have worked with...lol) were not quite up to the task and didn't even attempt to do what you did quite effectively.
2. We have discussed dehydration plenty in the last two years, but I believe in my heart that you learned more in that 1.5 hr torture course than I could have ever taught you. The effects of inadequate hydration are profound when you are fit enough to realize it.
3. A true active lifestyle has many lessons, as you know, and you are well ahead of the curve for anyone who is beginning. I know you have been exercising for a while but a 10 k mud run is a whole other animal.
4. Finally, there are many other lessons to learn and fun experience to have including more mud runs, triathlons, 5ks, and personal records to break and I can't wait to read about them in your bloggs!
Thanks for this... It really is great inspiration!